Friday, April 25, 2014

down by the seashore

If I were more open to laying bare my personal thoughts this might be a post telling you about the dark clouds that have drifted in and out of my life these past several months, bringing with them rain and thunder, and even a couple lightning strikes. But I'm not that person, and mostly I realize that we all have our dark clouds, and even if the storms they bring are unique to each of us, we must face them all the same. Instead I'll let the sky rumble and share with you some pretty pictures... because honestly, stepping out my door and into nature is my balm for whatever ails me. (And in this instance it required rubber boots, a sure sign of some good mucking about.)





























There is a long stretch of sand on our beach that is exposed only during extreme tides, and last weekend was one of them. If I'm around, not much can stop me from pulling on my boots to head down and explore. I love being able to walk around in an area that is usually hidden under water... it's like the sea is revealing its secrets.









A highlight was finding a few of these sunflower seastars. I've seen them over the years, but they are not entirely common, and sometimes a season will pass without seeing them at all. I saw an orange, red and one small purple one; all of them amazing me with their color and texture. They are covered on the underside with tentacle-like feet and can move themselves across the sand surprisingly fast.

















































The seagulls were a bit overly curious, so I scooped these beauties up and moved them near a big rock where they could attach themselves to the side and hopefully avoid the nosy birds. 


























































Anemones... the underwater flowers.





















































































It might be hard to tell, but above the bird tracks is a snail's trail. Encouraging proof that even at a snail's pace you can get somewhere. 




























Unless, of course, it was a hermit crab. When the snail's journey is over, the hermit crabs are always happy to move into their vacated shell. 
































So, yeah, those dark clouds will come -- and go. I'll continue to push myself out the door and keep the wise words of Bill Cunningham in mind through it all:  


"It's as true today as it ever was. He who seeks beauty will find it." 




10 comments:

  1. I have never seen this type of Sun before and it made my heart so glad today to see these pictures. Hari Om <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours and shapes in these pictures are fascinating - I love how the grey sand contrasts with the orange or purple sea stars... I also thoroughly enjoy the sand patterns and tales.

    I miss the seashore a lot! It does have a way to soothe our souls and, at the same time, it helps us find meaning and perspective. I am glad the ocean is there for you in every weather :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Emmanuelle! Connecting with nature always helps me to put things into perspective, I'm glad you can understand. Also, I just visited your blog and really enjoyed your lovely words & images. I'll look forward to visiting it again!

      Delete
  3. These photos really make me feel like coming out to wander and muck about with you two. Feels overdue, and I'd love to know what is in your heart (while tickling sea anenomes and hermit crabs). If you are at all tuned in to the heavens and astrology, we've just passed through a super-intense "Grand Cross" alignment of planets over the past few weeks -- many sensitive souls I know have been feeling distress, worlds-turned-upside-down, too much input, unpredictability, sudden big shifts....but the planets have spun on and that particular alignment is receding. I certainly have felt much relief and release of the pressure just in the past few days. The wise ones are recommending rest from the turmoil, deep breaths, give things a chance to settle in their new realignments...as well as taking advantage of the season and finding embodiment and enjoyment in the spring: delicious food, bare foot walks, time with loved ones, frog chorus, flowers, music. Good time to simplify, get out of our heads, ground down. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there, friend! Nice to hear your voice here, and yes, we are overdue for some time together! I was aware that there were some larger forces at play in more recent times, which does perhaps explain some of what's been going on for me. Other stuff spans a much longer stretch (months & months), some of which I think you already know about and other things maybe not. All in all there is forward motion, though, and as long as I keep up with the tidepool therapy I seem to be keeping things on the good foot. Let's connect soon!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful images Jodi. When storm clouds are rumbling overhead I turn to nature too. It's usually a walk in the bush or a drive in the mountains that really do the trick. May the sun shine down through your storm clouds.

    warmly
    Chontelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Chontelle... I hope that you're enjoying the autumn in your corner of the world! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your dark clouds. They have been lingering lately. But, as always, the outdoors, literally outside our front doors, is the perfect balm. What I love about life here, is that we are always always so much closer than most folk to being just able to step into the arms of nature. It's the best remedy and I hope to indulge in it soon myself. Sending you good thoughts and clear skies from across the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Milla :) I feel lighter in my heart this week, and yes, we are SO lucky to live in this beautiful part of the world. Hope you are getting some time to enjoy the warm sunny days this week!

      Delete