Monday, December 16, 2013

sel de mer


























In the summertime when I come home from paddling my kayak and pull my boat up onto the cobblestone beach, my arms are spotted white with dried salt water. Many times it has crossed my mind that I should harvest some of that salt for my own use. Well, after all this time I finally did it!


























I filled a pitcher with seawater from my beach and filtered it through a coffee filter into a glass baking dish. With the wood stove burning all day long these days, I had the perfect spot to evaporate the water. I set the dish on top of the stove and watched as the water level went lower and lower throughout the day. By evening time I could see large salt crystals forming in the bottom, and by morning I had sea salt.




























































I've dried a few batches now, and can see that if you stir the salt during the final stage of drying you get finer crystals. I have also been experimenting with how long to let it dry, as the first time it dried pretty hard. It made beautiful perfectly square crystals when left undisturbed, though.























































I like using coarse sea salt as a finishing salt, sprinkling it over my food right before I eat. It's also perfect to use atop desserts when you want just a pinch of salt with your sweet.

Do you live near the sea? Have you ever dried your own sea salt? I am so happy to have finally done it, and love having salt right from the waters I gaze at each day.



5 comments:

  1. beautiful! A gift from the salish sea yes? At least I'm thinking it must be as your sea and my sea (I'm in the San Juans) look quite similar. I have not made my own sea salt yet, but know folks who have. Using the wood stove (mine is cranking these days) inspires me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you got it, Salish sea salt! I hope it does inspire you, it was/is so satisfying. Just popped over to your blog... fancy finery for sale, ooh la la!

      Delete
  2. that's fantastic....we used to do that at the Willows way back when...why haven't I been doing it all this time at home...I dunno.....you are just filled with inspiration these days....keep it up....I love it....always B

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this story! and the photos that accompany it. but especially the salted sammy at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happen to know you have a soft spot for fried egg on toast w/avocado, too! Yum!

      Delete