Monday, November 25, 2013

soup


























As the frosty days set in in earnest, I am thankful for my wood stove and the pile of bone dry firewood ready to warm my little home. Warming soups and comfort foods are also making their way to the table each night as we nestle in for the winter. I recently cooked up a pot of Hungarian Mushroom soup, an old favorite from the Moosewood Cookbook. Naturally we had biscuits alongside, and I was reminded what an easy and delicious soup this is. I've made it over the years with whatever mushrooms I've had on hand - from button to crimini to those collected in the wild - and it's always been equally tasty. Just in case you've never made this yourself, I'll share the recipe and then it will likely become one of your favorites, too.


HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP

12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups chopped onion
4 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp. dill weed
1 Tbs. Hungarian paprika
1 Tbs. tamari
1 tsp. salt
2 cups stock or water
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream (I substitute yogurt)
fresh-ground black pepper to taste
fresh-chopped dill or parsley for garnish

Sauté the onions in 2 Tbs. butter. Salt lightly. A few minutes later add mushrooms, 1 tsp. dill, 1/2 cup stock or water, tamari and paprika. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Melt remaining butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, a few minutes. Add milk. Cook, stirring frequently, over low heat about 10 minutes or until thick.

Stir in mushroom mixture and remaining stock. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Just before serving add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream (or yogurt) and, if you like, extra dill. Serve garnished with fresh-chopped parsley and/or dill.


As a long-time vegetarian, I've also made a thicker version of this soup to use as a gravy over mashed potatoes or alongside a Thanksgiving feast.

I hope that this finds you all warm and well as we approach the winter and holiday season. (Or enjoying spring if you are on the other side of the world!)


p.s. Photo credit goes to Tim Vidra. I was too excited to eat this soup to take a decent photo!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and with a soup like that...you make cold weather something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do look forward to it! I hope you're embracing it too...

      Delete