Monday, October 14, 2013

lately

























































The beauty of autumn continues. My walks find me admiring toadstools and newts, the sunlight in the leaves, rosy rosehips, a patient Satyr Comma butterfly warming its wings on a tree.

Over the weekend we cleaned up the garden, added compost to all the beds and planted the garlic. I save the biggest, nicest heads when I harvest in early summer to plant in the fall. Look at those beauties! Here's a link back to an earlier post with more specifics on our garlic crops if you're interested.

Tonight: a big pot of borscht with homegrown beets, potatoes, onions, cabbage & carrots. I love the recipe from the good old Moosewood Cookbook. If you think you don't like borscht, I say make this and be converted! Oh, and be sure to make some cornbread to go with it... or biscuits, or even just a nice loaf of crusty bread.


RUSSIAN CABBAGE BORSCHT

2 T butter
1 1/2 c chopped onion
1 12 c thinly sliced potato
1 cup thinly sliced beets
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 stalk chopped celery
3 c chopped cabbage
1 t caraway seeds
4 c stock or water
2 t salt
black pepper to taste
1/4 t dill weed
1 T + 1 t cider vinegar
1 T + 1 t honey
1 c tomato puree

Place potatoes, beets and water in a saucepan and cook until tender. (Save the water.)

Begin cooking the onions and butter in a large pot. Add caraway seeds and salt. Cook until onion is translucent, then add celery, carrots and cabbage. Add water from beets and potatoes and cook, covered until all the vegetables are tender. Add potatoes, beets and all remaining ingredients.

Cover and simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings if needed.

Serve topped with sour cream, extra dill or chopped tomatoes.

(recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)




7 comments:

  1. Always enjoy looking at your lovely photos... love the little newt...I also enjoy this soup recipe..my grandmother made beet soup with a large piece of beef that would shred after cooking on the stove all day....it was delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the photos, Babs. Taking them keeps me in the moment when I'm out and about, helps me to be more observant. I think we've made this borscht together before!

      Delete
  2. Your photos of nature are always so familiar. Love those little salamanders. I have never made borscht before, but have a huge beautiful head of cabbage in the fridge. Should give it a try. Emailing you soon Jodi (I am so terrible with my email! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. no thank you to borscht. yes please to newts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make you borscht sometime and you'll change your mind!

      Delete
  4. I lovelovelove borscht! For so long I thought beets were a 'grandma vegetable' but now I want them in EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to come around to beets myself, but now I love them! They're so good grated raw on salad, in soups, really simple with a bit of butter, salt and pepper... or pickled - yum!

      Delete