Sunday, August 25, 2013

late summer bounty


 





























Late summer is such a time of bounty. It seems that almost every day finds me harvesting something, and then going through the process of drying, freezing or processing for long term storage. One day I'm using fresh-picked basil to make big batches of pesto to freeze and eat throughout the year, another day I'm picking pounds and pounds of blueberries. Some days I'm just plucking a handful of cherry tomatoes to pop in my mouth and get zinged by their bright bursts of flavor. Yesterday we dug up our potatoes (Yukon Gold & fingerling) and were pleased with our haul. (Digging potatoes is like finding buried treasure, each one adding to our loot.) There are still onions, broccoli, cabbage and carrots to harvest, blackberries to pick, seeds to gather and herbs to be dried. Along with all that, I need to get cracking on some canning! Pickled beets, dilly beans, fig jam, berry jam, pickled zucchini and more. 

What are you harvesting these days?




No comments:

Post a Comment