Tuesday, July 9, 2013

orca

We saw the Orcas today! I was told they swam through last week, but today was our first sighting of the season. I still get excited like a kid each time I see them; they are so awesome. As you can see from the photo below, trying to take pictures of whales from shore is not so awesome. (You'll just have to trust me on this one.)

Sometimes the sound of them blowing out their big whale breath gets my attention and I'll stop whatever I'm doing to run and look out over the water, scanning for signs of them surfacing. Other times, like today, it's the congregation of boats that tells me they are there. One night I was sleeping out on the deck and heard them passing by in the darkness. It was so interesting to listen to the rhythm of their breath as they passed without being able to see them. It was strangely more intimate.


The photo of the whale petroglyph was taken on a hike out to Cape Alava a few years back. 



No comments:

Post a Comment